[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Answers to a Puzzle

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 03, 1997 9:17 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Answers to a Puzzle

Hi Greg,

Good question. I'll be shooting for a minimum of 200 in all future
coils. For a long while I was convinced by others that going beyond
100 or so was a waste of time but recent experiments have given the
lie to that one. Got to throw the onus back on the primary I think.
    One great thing about the scope pictures - you can see clearly in
which part of the system the losses are occurring. The higher the Q
of the secondary (primary notwithstanding), the more trades you get
with light or no secondary loading since by transfering energy to a
hi Q secondary, the losses in the primary are effectively removed
with a 50/50 duty cycle.
    It seems that the extra long reach occurs with prolonged
oscillation in the system allowing leaders time to form as the
terminal is never stuck at one polarity for any length of time.
However, I stand by earlier comments about energy being gone
in between bangs regardless. I've never seen otherwise on the scope.

Malcolm