[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

FW: A Puzzle

From: 	gweaver[SMTP:gweaver-at-earthlink-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, September 06, 1997 9:46 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: A Puzzle

I am not sure I can add much to what has already been said.  I have noticed
something similar with 2 coils that I have.

Both my coils are wound on white pvc pipe.  Both have 998 turns of #24 wire.
The small coil measures 4.5" diameter and the larger coil measures 6.5"
diameter.

I built a TC designed for the small 4.5" coil.  When I replace the 4.5" coil
with the 6.5" coil and keep everything else the same the output sparks are
about 2" longer.  The thing that is most noticable is the larger coil
produces much thicker and hotter spark.

Small coil inductance is 21459 uh and the larger coil is 43124 uh and
increase of 200.9%

Wire length increased by 523" and increased the resistance from 27.1 to 39.2
ohms.

Ratio of the small coil is 4.8 and the ratio of the larger coil is 3.3.

Q has increased by 15 unloaded.

Small coil resonance frequency is 386.1 KHz compaired to 239.0 KHz for the
larger coil.

I can clearly see a difference between the output of the 2 coils but I can
not tell you exactly what caused the difference.

Gary Weaver