[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: A Puzzle [ coulomb ]

From: 	DamDeName-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:DamDeName-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, September 08, 1997 7:16 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: A Puzzle [ coulomb ]

<< 9/7/97

 Ed wrote:

 snip

 >>"The peak current in amps can easily be determined by measuring the
 >>total capacitance of the machine.  Divide the in coulombs by the time
 >>in sec (assume 1 microsec for most machines) and this gives the total
 >>peak current in amperes.  RWW
 >
 >snip
 >
 >Unfortunately, your method is severely flawed."
 >	OH??????? A coulomb is a coulomb is a coulomb is a. Period!
 >Ed

 No, Ed.  An ES coulomb is not the same as an EM coulomb.  In the mad
 rush to systemitize, unitize and find intercovertibility of all
 physical forces by turn of the century electricians, a very flawed
 experiment was devised to determine the coulombic relationships of EM
 and ES forces.  Briefly, EM force in Newtons between two parallel wires
 with a constant current flowing in them was compared to ES force in
 Newtons in the Cavendish experiments.  The results were announced to
 the world and of course this relationship became carved in stone.  It
 was a big mistake though because the experiment isn't capable of
 establishing this relationship.  The results are several orders of
 magnitude in error.

 This is not particurally new news.  But maybe it is important news to
 some members of this list.  I suggest you and others who are interested
 consult the archives for posts on this subject about one year ago.
 Also see HVlist archives.

 RWW

Hi all---

           I'm a bit confused  here also -----
Def. --- coulomb -- "handbook  of chem & phys "

   " A unit quantity of electricity . It is the quantity of electricity
 which must pass
through a circuit to deposit 0.0011180 grams of silver from a solution of
silver
nitrate. An ampere is one coulomb per second. A coulomb is also the
quantity of electricity on the positive plate of a condenser of one
farad capacity when the electromotive force is one volt ."

so ---- ummmmmm

regards,
                 Sandy