[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Multilayer Inductance

From: 	Thomas McGahee[SMTP:tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 10, 1997 2:24 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Multilayer Inductance

snip
>                            Mark Graalman

Mark,
If the two coils were parallel in the usual fashion, meaning placed
side by side with their ends connected, then what you wrote would
indeed be correct. However, when a coil is wound ON TOP of an
existing coil, the inductances are NOT in parallel, but rather
co-axial. In this arrangement the effective wire SIZE is increased,
but the inductance remains the same. Think about it carefully and you
will see that such an arrangement is really the same as winding the
coil with wire that is larger, or like Litz wire, if you will. In
this arrangement the inductance is a function of number of turns and
diameter and length. Several members on this list have built
multi-layer secondaries and verified that the inductance is
essentially the same as a single layer version. What you gain is
current carrying capability based on increased SURFACE AREA (not
cross sectional area) at high frequencies.

The fact that the inductance is not changed is not immediately
self-evident. At least, it wasn't to *ME* the first time I came
across it. Even though I am an electronics instructor and am normally
very careful in how I look at things, I initially thought that such
an arrangement would yield a lower inductance. I was wrong. When my
electronics measuring instruments showed me that the inductance
remained the same, it was only THEN that I looked at things carefully
and saw what was really going on. It is exactly like winding a coil
with Litz wire.

Someone on the List is using this method for their Magnifier's
secondary coil, and they also noted that the inductance is the same
as for a single layer coil. One of the Berts, I believe. (Bert Poole
and Wild Bill Emery?)

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom McGahee