[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Isotropic secondary capacitance

From: 	DR.RESONANCE[SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 10, 1997 5:26 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Isotropic secondary capacitance

To: Malcolm

Thanks for the tip on Corum's work addressing this area.  I will dig out
his book and review.

I spent a leisurely afternoon discussing some of your recent posts
(addressed to me) with the plasma physics group at Univ. of Wisconsin ( a
wild and mad professional group if there ever was one).  Energy can lump
itself at one end.  Not the particles but the waves which contain the
energy -- if only for a brief instant prior to reflection.  A common
example would be a blum line (lien if you are German) in which energy is
charged into a line typically with a Marx generator and then a sudden short
circuit is induced at one end.  Opposite end sees 2 x applied E.

More importantly we were discussing resonance transformer behavior and
especially why it usually takes two or three cycles to achieve full output
potential.  My opinion was this standing wave behavior is required to build
resonance.  I was wrong.  The actual factor here is the dynamic
characteristic of the plasma field (even ions which are not visible as the
sparks we love).  It seems the capacitance of the entire field requires
charging and this essentially electrostatic charging of the field process
requires two or three full cycles of energy from the oscillation
transformer.

They were in complete agreement with your accessment of primary capacitance
required to charge the load, ie, secondary system with its distributed cap
and the cap of the plasma field.

With regard to sticking your hand in bath water analogy one professor
replied, "A lot has to do with how rough your hand is".  This would relate
friction as the electrical equiv. of resistance, so the answer would depend
on the resistance and Q factor of the system.

Congrats on your newest coil performance and don't fall in the tub.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net