[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TC Electrostatics Revisited IV

From: 	Richard Wayne Wall[SMTP:rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 10, 1997 1:53 PM
To: 	tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	TC Electrostatics Revisited IV

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 10:48:48 -0800
From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> >Subscriber: rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com Thu Dec 12 14:28:51 1996
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 1996 20:14:38 -0800
> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: TC Electrostatics (fwd)
>
> 12/11/96

snip

> >I don't understand why you discount rectification. If you get
> >something DC from something AC, I'd say (almost by definition) that
> >you've got rectification no matter how small it might be. If there
> >are a suprplus of negative ions being generated due to
> >"rectification" near the tesla coil terminal, then they will repel
> >each other and be flung far away from the discharge terminal, no?
> >

> >-Ed Harris
> >

> Ed,
>
> There is no rectification of AC to DC current in TC coils.  Classic
> TCs  have three types of electricity (to use an old term for want of
> a better term).  They have AC and DC current.  Both AC and DC are
> transverse EM electricity.  They are dynamic.  TCs also have
> electrostatic electricity.  ES is characterized by longitudnal
> "current".  ES is governed by charge and changing electrostatic
> fields.  ES does not move around a circuit as EM currents do, so in
> this sense it doesn't follow Ohm's law.  ES is fond of following
> metalic conductors, but it also exists in dialectrics and insulators.
> In both forms, EM and ES may exist together in the same medium and be
> totally separate and apart even though they propagate in the exact
> same direction!  EM and ES have orthogonal fields and they do not
> interfere with each other.
>
> The top terminal in a TC oscillates with negative to postive ES
> charge.  There is very little current or magnetic field present.
> There is huge ES oscillation in reference to system ground.  When the
> the ES potential exceeds air break down potential, ionization takes
> place and an arc issues forth.  The same as lightning or a Van de
> Graf generator.  Any available TC AC follows the ionized arc column.
>
> How is electrical energy translated between EM and ES?  Scalar
> translators change EM <--> ES.  The most simple example is discharge
> of a charged capacitor with a screw driver.  A closed loop discharge
> path is provided and ES potential produces an EM current.  A TC is an
> excellent example of a complex scalar translator.  It translates EM
> into ES and also ES to EM when it discharges an arc from the top
> terminal.
>
> This is a new concept for "rectification" for most who are firmly
> grounded in electromagnetic theory.  It is rectification of ES <-->
> EM as opposed to AC <--> DC rectification.  Nikola Tesla was
> profoundly aware of longitudnal waves and electrostatic electricity.
> He spoke derisivly of Heinrich Hertz and most pejoritivly of
> transverse electrical propagation.  While not totally discounting
> transverse wave propagation, perhaps we should study his writings and
> thoughts before longitudnal waves are rejected out of hand.  As in
> any scientific endeavor exacting experimentation and strict scrutney
> must apply to any theory.  Currently much experimental investigation
> is directed toward these goals
>
> RWW
>
> Richard,

Delightful, insightful and thoughtful post.  I couldn't have said it
better.  This subject is vital to the full understanding of Tesla coil
operation and application.  I have to constantly slap myself, mentally,
when I want to errantly think in electrodynamic terms. (which is what I
was taught)

Electrostatics isn't difficult, its just unfamiliar and different.
Ultimately it is far more fundamental than many folks realize.

Charles Yost of ESJ did a neat, relatively currentless experiment.  He
took a 10" metal ball and connected it to about 1 hundred feet of wire.
At the other end he placed another sphere.  He charged a Teflon wand,
wiggled it slowly in air about 8 feet from the first ball and the slow
ES wave was picked up in air about 5 feet from the  ball at the other
end with an electroscope!  Nice demo of purely electrosttic,
capacitive, transfer in combination metal and dielectric circuits. No
closed metallic circuit and no "hard" ground referencing either.

Richard Hull, TCBOR