[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HV Oil & Neon Glueing Perspex)

From: 	Phil Chalk[SMTP:philoc-at-ozemail-dot-com.au]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 11, 1997 5:24 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: HV Oil & Neon Glueing Perspex)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

   < Big Snip >

> > I am not sure what type of glue is best for glueing plexaglass together.
> > The plexaglass is 1/2 " thick and smells like polycarbonate when I ruff cut
> > the pieces on the table saw. After finishing the 6 sides of the plastic box
> > on the milling machine I assembled the box and used rubber bands to hold it
> > together leaving off the top.  I put several drops of acetone on each seam
> > and let it dry for 1 hour. I tried as hard as I could to pull the box apart
> > by hand but I couldn't.  I beat the box with a rubber hammer and it stayed
> > together.
> >
> > Gary Weaver

Gary,

Acetone may be just as good, but if we're talking about the same stuff -
'acrylic' , 'perspex' but not polycarbonate, apparently the go is MEK
(Methyl Ethyl Ketone) nasty stuff, & possibly hard to obtain.  I use (
at $20 a tube) a proprietary glue, from the plastic shop, called
Acrifix, I think.  It's great, dries fairly quickly, clear, & the
perspex breaks before the joint, in my experience.  Don't know if you'll
have it - red & white tube.

Cheers,

Phil C.