[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Got a few questions

From: 	Kevin Radtke[SMTP:umradtke-at-cc.UManitoba.CA]
Sent: 	Friday, September 12, 1997 5:00 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Got a few questions

Hello Everyone,
	I posted a fairly long description of my Tesla coil last week
hoping for suggestions on improvements, but I guess the mailing was a bit
long for anyone to read through so I'll just be a wee bit more breef this
time.  I've just got a couple of questions.

1. Which set up is better.

A)	_________Cap______________
	I			 I
	spark gap		  xsfrmr
	I________Cap_____________I

B)
	Primary____________Cap__________
					xsfrmr
	Primary__________spark gap_____I

	Are the two caps in parrallel the same equivalent capacitence as
the one in B)

2.  After burning out two 5kV transformers we read up on protection and
installed a safety gap and two chokes like this.

        100 turns of 28awg around 1/2" wooden dowel
	///////////|________
		   |	    |
			    15kV 30mA transformer
		   |	    |

	the gap has enough clearance so that 15kV just won't arc over.
During operation of the coil this gap fires quit often and is really
hurting performance of the coil.  Directing a small fan at the gap reduced
the number of times it will fire but has not eliminated it.  What's going
on and how do I fix it?

	Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

Kevin Radtke