[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rebuilt Rotary

From: 	Chuck Curran[SMTP:ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, September 13, 1997 9:44 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Rebuilt Rotary

Hello All:

Tonight I got all set up to test my latest system changes.  My rotary
gap had been set up with 12 moving electrodes on a G-10 disk and the two
fixed electrodes were 1/8" diameter tungsten rods mounted in 1" diameter
brass for heat sinking.  It had become apparent that this set-up just
wasn't going to last at over 12 Kw input.  The tungsten was clearly
becoming molten and really looked rough.  I also was interested in
reducing the quench time, so I made several changes.

First I was able to get one 4" length of 3/16" tungsten which I cut into
1" pieces and mounted two in the fixed electrodes in the rotary.  Next I
removed 6 of the twelve moving electrodes and checked the balance again
on the assembly, prior to going to a higher RPM.  We have a portable
balancing system for our lathe spindles at work, so I was able to take
it home and fine tune the rotary and then I ran it up to what turned out
to be 3850 RPM, or 385 PPS which was the range I wanted to be in.  Now I
waited for the night and started to get everything out into the driveway
and wired up.  Then the rain started.  Just a light drizzle but enough
to make me call it quits.  Well, maybe tomorrow night! I plan on taking
some more photo's with some different exposure settings and I also want
to set up the scope and see what the quenching is looking like.  I am
planning on growing three more arms for all that activity.

Chuck Curran
Cedarburg, WI