[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quenching

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 14, 1997 3:27 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Quenching

Hi Peter,

<major snip>

> I found you post a bit confusing as my experience with static gap
> quenching seems to be opposite to yours. I was running 15Kv 60Ma input
> with a single static gap set at about 3/8" to 1/2" and a .015 Cap. I had
> a compressor hooked up with a 1/4" nozzle and found the higher the
> pressure from the compressor, the better the output from the coil. The
> limit was at about 25PSI at which the compressor lost pressure too
> rapidly to be much use. Also I found it difficult to hear the noise of
> the gap over the incredible hissing from the airjet.
>
> What current input were you using and were you using much lower voltages
> in you setup?

I am running much lower voltage at much higher current in that setup.
It is far from ideal too. I would rather run at a much higher primary
voltage with much smaller cap. However, one must do with what one has
on hand. I have no doubt that these effects are going to be different
in different systems. I just thought I'd mention it as it made a
significant difference to the output I obtained and I think it is
relevant to some systems on those grounds.

Malcolm