[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Testing

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, September 15, 1997 12:36 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: New Testing

<< Ed,

 If the rotary is firing only erratically, this isn't a symptom of
 improper primary tuning. If the protection gap across the cap is firing
 at a 1" setting, you have a significant problem with gap firing. Until
 you identify the problem, you may want to reduce your safety gap setting
 a bit, since breakdown of a 1" gap represents considerably more than 25
 KV AC. The combination of the rotary and the static gaps is apparently
 resulting on too high an effective breakdown voltage. In effect, you're
 "missing" more presentations than "hitting". Because of the high speed
 air-flow around the rotary electrodes, a rotary gap's breakdown voltage
 will be significantly higher than for an equivalent static gap.

 Now that you've tightenned up the gap spacing on your rotary, also try
 temporarily removing the series gaps and run only off the rotary, and
 try running at a mechanical breakrate of at least 360 - 480 BPS so that
 you get at least 3 - 4 presentations per half cycle. By reducing the gap
 spacing, you should arrive at a point where your system runs smoothly
 without the safety gaps firing. You can then gradually increase the
 setting via the series gaps until you're just below the point where
 erratic firing (or safety gap firing) begins.  Depending on ballast
 settings (particularly with no damping resistors across your welder) you
 can get really horrendous transient conditions (4 - 6X the incoming 14.4
 KV) which won't take out your pig, but can take out your cap.

 See if this helps at all, and the best of luck to you Ed!

 - Bert H. --

Bert,

I now have the static gaps out of the circuit.  Thanks for the tip, I will
reduce the safety gap across the cap to maybe .50 to .75".  All I need now is
some decent weather.

Ed Sonderman