[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New testing, more

From: 	Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Monday, September 15, 1997 12:37 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: New testing, more

<< Ed,

 I have a very similar setup 14 turns of 3.8 copper, wobbly rotary and all. I
 have used
 salt water, maxwell 45kvdc and CSI 50kvdc caps with 2ea 6" coils and 1ea 9"
coil
 with no problems. Same primary setup in all cases.

 If your ballasting behaves as mine does the R only serves to keep the L tame
 enough
 to run the coil smoothly. Perhaps the cap problem is over voltage aided by
 the arc
 welders large inductance.

 As to the gaps, when i begin to have problems like that, i replace the acorn
 nuts and
 reset the distance as well as i can with the wobbly wheel. My rsg probably
 wouldn't
 even fire with a static gap in series.

 I have shorted RG8/U foam cable from center to shield, I didn't have to
 wonder, the
 ammeter, the fire and the smell all gave it away. This happened at a low
 rotor speed
 where kick backs got nasty.

 George..........

Thanks George,

I have replaced the rotor disc, less wobble, new electrodes and reset the
gaps as close a possible.  Probably only maybe .050" clearance on each side.
 I also have taken the static gap out of the system.  Now am only waiting for
some good weather.

Ed Sonderman