[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Flybacks (was To Kevin)

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 17, 1997 8:33 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Flybacks (was To Kevin)

Robert!
         You've made me sit up.....

di/dt is most certainly a factor :)

>         It is this combination: high-voltage and high-frequency,
>         together, that characterizes much of the work and related
>         discoveries of Dr. Tesla.
>
>         Ergo -- In my book a flyback transformer is a modern applica-
>         tion of Dr. Tesla's work.  That it also resembles a switching
>         power supply does not detract from this.  That it does not
>         depend upon a tuned primary/secondary serves to differentiate
>         it from a Tesla coil per se -- yes that is so.   But hey --
>         there is precious, precious little everyday use of Tesla
>         currents.   Don't try to take flybacks away from us!
>
>                                         Fighting for Dr. Tesla, in
>                                         -- Detroit, USA

My hat off to Dr Tesla although I must point out that induction coils
were around before he was born. Of course, omit the diode and the
"flyback" is simply an induction coil. IMHO, the open resonator, the
coupled tuned circuits concept and the grounded quarterwave concept
were his major gifts to the RF community. Would this combination be
something of a definition one could hang the "Tesla Coil" label on?
It does leave out the 1/2 wave system unfortunately.

    AFAIK, the term flyback applies to the realm of TV where the
e-beam "flies back" to the LHS of the screen under the influence of
currents/voltages generated by this component. This must have been one
of the first major uses of this type of supply. These days, they are
not only used for this purpose in every TV and monitor with a CRT, but
also in the low to medium power range of the SMPS family where the
loads may or may not be reactive per se. I have used them in
applications ranging from battery chargers to powering disruptive
Tesla Coils :) They have been used to power computers also.

Regards,
Malcolm
<snip>