[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Adhesive for PE

From: 	Edward V. Phillips[SMTP:ed-at-alumni.caltech.edu]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 18, 1997 12:14 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Adhesive for PE

"If I remember right, posted a while back was a recipe for making a castable
insulation compound involving paraffin and polyethylene. Apparently one can
dissolve polyethylene shavings in hot paraffin and gain a quite servicable
castable plastic. I would think that this compund, when hot, would weld
polyethylene instantly. Comments?

Dan"
	In my experience it will MELT thin polyethylere instantly
if it is too hot, and not stick to it if it is too cold.  I have
made it but heating paraffin to about 220 degrees F and then stirring
in cut up (soft) plastic bottles until they quite going into solution.
This mixture appears to have many less bubbles than paraffin, and is
much less prone to scratching and crumbling when it is cold.  If
you run the temperature up to perhaps 280 degrees you can dissolve
much more poly, but would likely damage the things you want to
pot.
Ed