[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Microwave coiling.

From: 	Geoffrey Schecht[SMTP:geoffs-at-onr-dot-com]
Sent: 	Thursday, September 18, 1997 9:24 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: Microwave coiling.

Most, if not all, microwave ovens have something like a ferroresonant
transformer in their power supply that produces several kV. That may be of
some use to run a Tesla coil although I suspect that its output voltage may
be a tad low for really decent results and they aren't designed for 100%
duty cycle operation at full power out. There's also a high voltage diode
in there, although I think that it's used as a clamp instead of a recifier.

Other than that, you could try using the magnetron to produce the worlds'
first 2.45gHz Tesla coil (just kidding! Don't fool with that thing unless
you want cataracts or worse). Maybe the cabinet will make a good rotary
spark-gap cabinet???

Send me the magnetron if you're contemplating using it as a target to sight
in the 30-30. I'll pay you for the shipping if it's still in good shape.

Geoff