[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

STUPID SIMULATIONS

From: 	richard hull[SMTP:rhull-at-richmond.infi-dot-net]
Sent: 	Saturday, September 20, 1997 8:15 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: STUPID SIMULATIONS

At 09:25 AM 9/19/97 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]

I love it!!!!

Mark is enough of an old hand at this business to give the subtle and
non-finger pointing "dork factor" proviso.

This just means that in spite of a model's excellence and fidelity to
mathematics, it can't include the "dork factor".  Ultimately, some organic
engine must assemble the parts, wind it, put it all together, tune it, etc.

To bad the model for a specific system couldn't also include a 100 question
exam to the querying party which would itself be keyed to the methodolgy,
habits, and material preferences of the best coiler's systems.  Running the
results though a complicated but doable equation would create a "dork
factor" such that if you factored in this final key data bit following the
running of the theoretical model, it would give the output expected up to a
certain minimal level of efficiency below which the result spit out of the
computer might note that the specific builder might better spend his time
bird watching, rebuilding automobile engines or running for elected office!!

It is a good thing I didn't have such a model available in the beginning or
I might have been a State Senator by now.

Instead, I found out the hard way by minimal computer usage to crunch the
rough numbers and spent most of my real learning time dinkin' the rough
edges off my "dork factor"!  This is always the real model killer!!!!  The
real, time averaged, "look and feel" of a standard Tesla coil is pretty much
a "cut and paste" operation.

It is important to realize we will never build a 100% efficient system.  The
youngest of use might live to see a 75% efficient system in operation.  None
of use will probably ever own or build one.

Richard Hull, TCBOR

P.S.  I hope every one whose nostrils flared at the last paragraph, will get
those cyrostats down to super fluiditiy levels, wind those Y:Ba:CuOX coils,
dunk those secondaries, and blow me out of the water with video proof!

 ..................OOOOPS!!!............ Warning.............
danger...danger...... "dork factor alert"..........

What's super fluidity?

Can't get liquid helium, used liquid hydrogen instead (closest atomic number
substitute.)

Fingers like porcelien....(that stuff's chilly)

heavy metals poisoning.......What, me worry?

Filled the cryostat to the brim before dunking the coil... froze cat on
floor with overflow.

Coil fell off form...or form crumbled.

Fill in below with suitable worst case "dork factor" ....(read model
killer).. scenarios..............