[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

stacked plate capacitor

From: 	Alfred A. Skrocki[SMTP:alfred.skrocki-at-cybernetworking-dot-com]
Sent: 	Sunday, September 21, 1997 1:13 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: stacked plate capacitor

On Saturday, September 20, 1997 10:21 PM Dennis Hoffman
[SMTP:hoffman-at-werewolf-dot-net] wrote;

>  Sulaiman,  I was wondering if rusting is really a problem if the plates
> are in oil?  I imagine that it could eventually rust if the plates were in
> contact with water, but all the water /moisture should stay on the bottom.
> I am using 24 gauge galvanized steel so that would also help to protect the
> plates over the long haul.

The oil will protect the galvanized iron and retard any tendency to
rust.

> I wasn't aware that ferrous metals could be a problem.

Their not! I've built capacitors out of; aluminum, stainless steel,
galvanized iron, copper and silver plated copper and frankly there is
no appreciable difference. Sure on a theoretical or analytical level
there would be an increased inductive effect with a ferro-magnetic
material but not enough to be noticeably in the end performance of a
tesla coil. BTW make sure whatever spacers you use to keep your
plates apart have either equal or better dielectric characteristics
(break down voltage and power factor) than the oil you will use,
other wise they will become the weak point and invite break down or
cause energy losses.

                               Sincerely

                                \\\|///
                               (  -at- -at-  )
                           Alfred A. Skrocki
                   Alfred.Skrocki-at-CyberNetworking-dot-com
                             .ooo0   0ooo.
                               \_)   (_/