[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Increasing Capacitance...

From: 	David Huffman[SMTP:huffman-at-FNAL.GOV]
Sent: 	Monday, September 22, 1997 10:35 AM
To: 	'Tesla List'
Subject: 	RE: Increasing Capacitance...

I have sent pictures of two situations involving the use of different oils of different dielectric constants. If the space between the foil and the film is occupied by oil of a similar dielectric constant  as that of the film then the voltage stress on the film will be lower than if the oil has a higher dielectric constant. It might be wise to avoid large differences in this constant as way pointed out in previous messages. Like all aspects of coiling there is a trade off. The gain in capacitance will be had by the loss in voltage rating. Imperfection in the film might be magnified by the higher dielectric constant oils.
Thinking out loud, zap me if I need it.
Dave Huffman