[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary Qs

From: 	Malcolm Watts[SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent: 	Monday, September 22, 1997 2:49 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Primary Qs

HI John,
          I'm not losing too much sleep over the one transformer I
have lost since I learnt a lot from the exercise and the plan now is
to wind a 2kW model using the same core.

I would think that is _very_ likely. Also the lower loss of the sync
gap as outlined earlier.
    There is no doubt my neon was killed by a "kickback". For
months/years I have been wondering how a voltage higher than that
generated by the transformer could appear across the transformer
terminals (resonant charging and wide-set gaps aside). The answer
lies in the impedance of the transformer at the RF frequencies. If
some energy still remains in the sec of the coil after the gap has
gone out, it is coupled back to a series-tuned primary which is now
in series with an ultra high impedance presented by the transformer.
My filter setup prevents the transformer ringing with the filter caps
but in the process, I have boosted the impedance across the
transformer terminals. I should have used filter caps big enough to
limit the rise of a moderate amount of energy that could be fed back
while at the same time ensuring an unfavourable ring frequency with
the transformer. The only simple answer I have right now is bigger
filter caps. Back to the lab.

:(
Malcolm