[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Neons and Sync Gaps

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, September 23, 1997 4:37 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: Neons and Sync Gaps

<< Hi John, all,
>                More cogitating on the dying neon problem suggests
>another reason why the sync gap doesn't appear to kill neons readily
> and also supports my theory of why the kickbacks are the major
> killers. As the electrodes draw closer, the gap maintaining voltage is
> also dropping and I would think the dwell time this allows makes sure
> the gap is effectively shunting the transformer for as long as it
> takes for secondary energy to all but disappear. In short, it seems
> as if sync gaps have every reason to be the ultimate choice for neon
> operation. Now I've got to have a crack at modifying motors as I've
> decided that I will no longer use static gaps. Glad I found out now.

> Malcolm >>

Malcolm,

I see what you're saying, but my sync gap often quenchs on the
first notch, are you suggesting that the static gap sometimes
quenches before the first notch?  I didn't think this was possible?
Maybe the static gap actually gives a longer firing time, but as
the energy gets weak, after multiple beats, the arc then quenches
at a "less than zero" point on one of these later beats due to the
drawn out air blown spark in the static gap?  Who knows?

John Freau