[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

neon rewind

From: 	Geoff Schecht[SMTP:geoffs-at-onr-dot-com]
Sent: 	Wednesday, September 24, 1997 3:10 PM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: neon rewind

Hi Malcolm:

Many NST's are wound with very fine wire, somewhat smaller than AWG40 if
I'm not mistaken. You'll need a spool feeder and wire tensioner of some
kind; otherwise wire that fine will almost inevitably break if you try to
machine wind the bobbin with anyuthing much smaller than AWG34 or so. Hand
winding is less likely to cause breakage but (as you pointed out) that can
take a very long time. Heavier wire, of course, makes the job a bit less
delicate but is your core large enough to handle the additional bulkiness
of thicker wire if you want to maintain the original turns ratio?

I believe that the NST manufacturers use thinner wire than is necessary for
bobbins of a given size to keep the secondary resistance up, thereby
building in some ballasting resistance for the intended neon tubes. You'll
notice an increase in output current if you use heavier wire for the same
number of turns (kind of an obvious advantage).

Let me know what your results are!

Geoff