[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary gap dwell

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 09:11:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Rotary gap dwell

<< I had thought that perhaps the gap sustaining voltage would be lower
> if the electrodes were much closer at the time the arc goes out.
> Perhaps not. Still figuring it out. I still think the rotary would be
> better loss-wise though.

> Thanks,
> Malcolm

Malcolm,

I guess the kickback could actually be observed on a scope to see
how it behaves with wide and close gap spacings.  I hadn't thought
about this until you brought it up.  I agree the rotary should be
better loss-wise.  It would be interesting to see what happens using
a rotary that is actually capable of stretching the spark fast enough
during the notch to use brute force quench as Greg is planning.
This would be esp. good in a magnifier unfortunately the phyical/
mechanical obstacles are daunting, perhaps kickback would be
magnified also, I don't know.

John Freau