[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Power Supplies

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 07:42:17 -0500
From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE: Power Supplies

-----Original Message-----
From:	Tesla List [SMTP:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent:	Friday, September 26, 1997 10:50 PM
To:	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:	Power Supplies

Hello Andrew:

The easiest way to parallel your transformers properly should only take a
few minutes.  First, I would like to say my comments are for paralleling
identical transformers.  Don't try this if one is 15 Kv and the next 12 Kv.
  O.K., simply place the two transformers down in something close to your
final mounting configuration.  I would expect that you would probably
choose to have them side by side.  Connect one high voltage output lead
from one transformer to one high voltage output lead of the other.  The
simplest would be to connect the two outputs on the same ends of the two
transformers together.  Then take the remaining two high voltage output
leads and using some wire, create a 1/8" spark gap between the ends of the
two leads.  I would now hook up the primaries to your line voltage and
observe what's going on by the little spark gap. If there is no activity,
you have been lucky enough to get the connection right the first time!
 However, if you see an arc between the two wire ends,  your transformer
secondaries are working in series.  To correct this, simply rewire the low
voltage primary connection.  Let me add some detail.  If we call the first
transformers low voltage input terminals 1 and 2 while we label the second
transformers inputs as A and B, I can be clearer.  If you connect terminal
1 and A together and 2 and B and apply line voltage, then see  an arc at
the High voltage output spark gap, you have an incorrect phasing.  Rewire
by connecting 1 and B together and 2 and A together for installation to
your system.  You should then see no spark on your two high voltage leads.
 If you then try to add a third transformer, do the same as above, except
consider the first matched pair as "One" unit and phase the third to them
without changing their already functional connections.  Just be careful and
good luck!

Chuck Curran
Cedarburg, WI