[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Sonderman Testing

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:33:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Sonderman Testing

<<
 To: Ed

 Have noted some of your posts regarding cap damage & problems.  I'm
 beginning to suspect the culprit may be your welding xmfr reactor.  We have
 run 6 inch coils to over 11 ft. spark discharges with our reactors on pole
 xmfrs and have not noticed any destructive effects.  I suspect you are
 hitting a nice power supply resonance point that is causing your pole xmfr
 to rise above its normal ratings.  The pole xmfr can take it but apparently
 your caps can't.

 DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Dr,

Thanks for the input.  If this is the case, shouldn't I be able to stop the
resonance problem by adding series resistance?  I tried this last night,
varying it from 20 ohms to 3.3 ohms and still had the same problems.  The
safety gap across the cap would fire at about 50% of full variac power.

Malcolm also suggested the pole pig ballast (welder) is causing a resonance
problem with the .025 mfd cap.  How do I stop that?

Ed Sonderman