[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DIY Ball Lightning

----------
From:  Mike Harrison [SMTP:wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk]
Sent:  Thursday, April 02, 1998 3:01 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: DIY Ball Lightning

.>
>I'll have to look into this. People have been producing things they call
>"plasmoids" in microwave ovens using candles, but I don't have a large
>enough microwave with which to try this.  Unfortunately, I gave away a
>750W beat-up microwave oven that I had earmarked for experiments.  I
>will be on the lookout for another one, however.

I'm not convinced the plasmoid  phenomenon is anything more than a
carbon arc, occurring when 2 pieces of carbon form a dipole. A dish
with several pea-sized pieces of coke (the black variety, not the
white stuff:-), or broken carbon rods from a battery work very well.
You sometimes observe 'flares' rising from the arc, but my guess is
this is just the efffect oif the airflow from the oven fan.
   _/ L_/  Mike Harrison / White Wing Logic / wwl-at-netcomuk.co.uk  _/ L_/
 _/ W_/  Hardware & Software design / PCB Design / Consultancy  _/ W_/
/_W_/  Industrial / Computer Peripherals / Hazardous Area      /_W_/