[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Safety gap setting

----------
From:  James Burgess [SMTP:bouncer-at-iquest-dot-net]

Sent:  Friday, April 10, 1998 10:17 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Safety gap setting

I have just gotten my new cap, it is a Maxwell
.05mfd 75kv and works great. My question is, at what
distance
should the safety be set for this cap. I'm running a 14.4kv
pig with the gap set at .625, at lower power this gap is ok,

but as I get to half power the gap starts to fire.
            A chart I have says 15mm=39.3kv {almost .625}
this is over half the rating of my cap, since the cap should

be de-rated by half for A/C. I don't want to blow this cap
{too much money} but I don't want to cut power If I don't
have to.
                                       Thanks
                                       J.R. Burgess