[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Coil Form Sealing?

----------
From:  D.C. Cox [SMTP:DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net]
Sent:  Saturday, April 18, 1998 11:26 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Coil Form Sealing?

to: Brian

Avoid the polyurethane -- will crack with time and becomes unsightly.  A
good sealer to use is 3 light coats of G.E. Glyptal which is available in
quarts through almost all large electric motor repair shops.  Be sure to
apply to inside using a rag taped to a wooden dowel.  Use xylol as the
thinning agent and strain the glyptal through standard paint filters after
stirring for 5-6 minutes with an electric drill stirrer.  Glyptal may also
be used as the finishing sealer as well although if using enameled magnet
wire a better choice is Dolph's AC-43 air dry varnish.  Has a.n excellent
dielectric and insulating properties.  Bullseye clear shellac is also a
better choice than polyurethane as it doesn't crack either.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net