[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Potato Chips (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 08:22:04 -0400
From: Thomas McGahee <tom_mcgahee-at-sigmais-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Potato Chips (fwd)

Gary,
That coating on each lamination is there for a reason. If you do remove
it, remember to re-coat before re-assembling. You don't want the
laminations making a good electrical connection with one another
because that will just increase the eddy currents, which is what
laminating the core is trying to reduce in the first place.

Core laminations usually have a bluish or blackish coating that is
very thin that helps prevent eddy currents from flowing "sideways"
from lamination to lamination.

The purpose of the varnish is to help hold the laminations
together and prevent excessive hum.

Hope this helps.
Fr. Tom Mcgahee