[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Potato Chips (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 21:14:03 -0500
From: teslaman-at-juno-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Potato Chips (fwd)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:19:08 -0600 (MDT) Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:

  Re: Potato Chips (fwd)

>[snip]
>>> The laminations on one of my unpotted neons is out of square.  The
>thing
>>> is twisted looking and I don't like the way it looks so I took it
>all
>>> apart. The laminations were stuck together with something like
>varnish or
>>> polyurethane.  I decided to sand blast the laminations to remove
>the
>>> varnish.
>>
>>[snip]
>
>	I used to think that also but, I've 2 1kW arc lamp ballasts
>that are shunt regulated auto transformers that have the laminations
>arc welded together. Several of my microwave transformers are also arc
>welded together. I now think that the varnish, besides insulating the
>windings and holding them together, keeps the laminations from
>vibrating and generating acoustic noise.
>
>	jim

Jim, Bert..

  More light to shed on this discussion, your both right.   Transformers
which are designed for high efficiency and long periods of continuous
operation do take precautions to lower eddy current and hysteresis
losses.    Many transformers are rated intermittent duty such as
microwave ovens, electric welders, battery chargers etc...and are
sometimes welded instead of using clamps to hold the core together.  To
reduce eddy current loss, the cores are made from thin silicone steel
laminations which in themselves offer some electrical resistance.
Additionally each strip of lamination has a layer of insulating film on
their surface, and yes, it does help to eliminate core noise from
electrical vibrations.>

  Distribution transformers are designed for low losses because of their
continuous operation and long idling times.  As for Tesla Coil usage, I
don't think this is much of a problem since the duty cycle on the
transformer is fairly low (for most coilers).
  I personally leave the coating on the transformer cores which I
re-wind.

Kevin Eldredge

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]