[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RQ spark gaps. (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:43:56 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: RQ spark gaps. (fwd)

----------
> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: RQ spark gaps. (fwd)
> Date: Tuesday, April 28, 1998 9:22 PM
>

>  Hi all
>     Just a quick qustion about the Richard Quick type static gap.
>  And also should the copper tubes be pollished.
>

> I have two of these R Q gaps and they work well.  I did not do anything
> prepare the inside of the pvc pipe section except to sand the areas where
the
> copper pipe sections mount so the epoxy would stick.  I used two brass
bolts
> to hold each copper pipe section and also applied quiet a bit of epoxy to
> each, mostly around the bolt holes.  Be sure to use bolts that are long
enough
> so you can make connections to any of the sections.  You will find this
useful
> later sometime.

I found some appropriate "acorn" nuts to put on the part of the bolt
protruding. Not that corona is an issue at these voltages, but it does look
nicer...

> I cut the copper pipe sections with a large tubing cutter so the ends are
> slightly tapered.  I also sanded the ends and used fine steel wool to
polish
> the pipe sections.

I chopped mine on a "cold saw" usually used for steel, it made very square
ends, but ovaled the pipes slightly (from the clamping of the vise to hold
the pipe). I unovaled them,  then polished them on a buffing wheel. I can't
say whether they work any better polished, but they look nicer (until they
get all the black oxide on them from the discharge).