[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bending plexiglas to create a coil form (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:40:33 -0700
From: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Bending plexiglas to create a coil form (fwd)

Tesla List wrote:

> [...]

Forming acrylic or lexan is an art. Temperature control is critical,
because you want it hot enough to soften, but not so hot it melts. To
make a big cylinder, you really need a big oven, or a large array of
heat lamps to provide a very even heating to the whole sheet. Then,
you'll need a good form to wrap it around, and a good scheme for
clamping it (we've used sheet metal for the latter). As you indicate, it
is the ends of the sheet that are the toughest.

On occasion, we've actually bent more than we needed, at a smaller
radius than desired (making a spiral), then cut off the ends (i.e. form
a longitudinal slot)and bend it out (Cold) around another form and
cement it.

Your best bet is to find someone who does this for a living. They have
the tooling, and more important, the practice.

I was at a shop that makes big (>4 ft diam) hemispheres. They just heat
the sheet up, put it over a big hole in a box, and suck it down with a
vacuum cleaner and gravity. I'll bet they went through a lot of plastic
before they got the process down, though, in terms of heating time and
temperature and how much suction and how long.

What is so special about a round coil anyway. Why not make it polygonal,
with filleted corners. An octagon would be easy with a strip heater, and
 the corners might not add too much E-field stress...