[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE>Re: UK coilers ? + stuff (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 03 Aug 1998 14:44:06 -0700
From: Dale Hall <Dale.Hall-at-trw-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: RE>Re: UK coilers ? + stuff

RE>Re: UK coilers ? + stuff (fwd)

Chris & Al,

I agree with  Al's good comments, except,

I disagree regarding the uA output current of a TC, seems he was talking
average where it the peak values that need to be considered (or perhaps
he is referring to overall corona current with no concentrated spark ?)
Sparks and corona represent impulse events necessitating peak terminology.
Wire ratings are for heating values (cross section area).
Surface area & skin affect at relevant tesla frequencies determine peak
current  capability. The pulse repetitiion rate never gets high enough to
become a wire heating restriction.

In my battery powered DC TC, 12v .04A to  5kVDC,  .1uF, .125" ~4turn pri,
 6.25"x20" sec #24 ~20mHy,  8"x20" toroid, 8" to 10" sparks:

Ipri ~ 600 A pk measured with a Tektronix current probe (220kHz).

Isec ~22 A pk measured spark return line current (~2 to 20mHz)

Dale  Redondo Beach, Calif