[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spark gap idea (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 06:16:22 -0700
From: Terry Perdue <terryp-at-halcyon-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Spark gap idea

I'm planning on trying a variation on Terry Fritz's multi-gap. Instead of
epoxying the copper pipe sections to a board, I'm going to make two small
horizontal ladder-like supports for them. The 'rungs' will be hardwood
dowels spaced so that when the pipe sections are layed between them, the
desired spacing is achieved. The rungs will be somewhat longer than the 2"
pipes to avoid any chance of charring the side pieces. There are two
advantages to this, besides avoiding the tedious gluing process: 1) a couple
of muffin fans can be directed up through the gaps and, 2) when the pipes
oxidize, they can be easily rotated a little to expose clean metal, or
lifted out for polishing. Does anyone see a problem with this idea?

Now, a question: What is the prefered way to route the top of the secondary?
It would be easiest to pass it through a hole in the top of the form, but
that creates a sharp bend in the wire. Would the toroid prevent corona from
this point, or should the last turn be curved up the outside of the tube? If
so, what about slack to allow for adjusting the toroid height?

BTW - I found three books on Tesla in my small local library, one of which
is called Tesla Coil Secrets, by R.A. Ford. It's not a particularly
impressive book, but has some interesting info. It gives details on the
author's design of a RSG that might be easier to duplicate than the more
conventional designs. It also refers to the Oudin coil and Oudin-Tesla coil,
showing the primary positioned in the center of a horizontal secondary,
although the author seems to mix up the two types. It's published by Lindsey
(1985).

Terry