[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Carrying a Full Load (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 11:49:30 EDT
From: Alfred A Skrocki <alfred.skrocki.sr-at-juno-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Carrying a Full Load (fwd)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998 07:48:14 -0700 Michael Baumann
<baumann-at-proton.llumc.edu> wrote;

>Alfred: you haven't watched a bug zapper in work, have you?
>Those things *must* be current limited. I've had some really good
>sized beetles and such hit mine, they sizzle and pop and burst into
>flame. Continuous discharges for 20-40 seconds when this happens are
>not uncommon.

I don't tend to sit and stare at operating "bug-zapers" because I have
severe migraines and the U.V. light seems to trigger them. But I will
point out that something in the range of 30 seconds is nothing like
running the little bugger for minutes on end. I looked at the
construction
of several of these transformers and I see no magnetic shunts, but their
secondaries are very well insulated. Their primary's are another story.
The primary looks cery much like the windings on small shaded pole
motors.
I would defintly not try pusing these transformers too far.

>[Oh, and i did make a very small coil powered by one. It worked, sort
>of. Had a hell of a time quenching the gap. Not because of current, but
>because of what I did not know]

Out of curiosity do you remember the specs on that coil and what kind of
output
you got from it. These transformers are typicaly rated at 5KV -at- 9 ma. or
about
45 watts, enough for a couple of inches of spark, I'd say.

                               Alfred A. Skrocki
                          Alfred.Skrocki.Sr-at-JUNO-dot-com
                 Visit my Do-It-Yourself Aquarium WEB page at:
                  http://WWW.GeoCities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/6251

Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno-dot-com
Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]