[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 16:49:30 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

    >snip>
<< I suspect that once the output voltage is high enough to cause breakout, we
 >need to use firing rate the push the streamers out rather than pure voltage.
 >High voltages tend to cause many short streamers while high firing rates at
 >lower voltage tend to create a single but much longer streamer.  Obviously,
 >this subject is very important to our endeavors.  >snip>

Terry, all,

I've seen similar effects when I used a toroid that was somewhat small
for the system.  When I increased the toroid ROC by about 50%, I
obtained the longest streamers using the high voltage, with either high
or low break-rates.  These streamers were longer in general than with
the smaller ROC toroid.  I find the matching of the toroid to the system to
be very important.  In another test, I kept the break rate constant (at a
somewhat high break-rate), but decreased the toroid ROC by about 1/3,
this changed the output and gave numerous short sparks.  The texture
(smooth or corregated) of the toroid may have some effect on these
issues too, but I've done very little work with that.  I've seen some
indications that the smooth toroids can be a little smaller than the
corregated ones, for a given system.

Overall, my coils give the best overall efficiencies at 60 or 120 BPS.

At 120 BPS, the coil gave 42" at 640 watts, at 60 BPS, the sparks were
46" at 600 watts, at around 270 BPS the coil drew about 2kW and gave
46" sparks.

> I suspect that the firing voltage can be carefully adjusted to give the best
> output potential and firing rate in order to produce the longest streamers.
> There is probably a "sweet spot" between these two factors.

When I decreased my break-rate to 30 BPS, the coil gave numerous
short sparks.  This coil seems to do the best at around 60 BPS.

This is important work that you are doing and I look forward to your
continuing results.

John Freau