[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotaries and Neons (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:56:16 -0600
From: terryf-at-verinet-dot-com
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Rotaries and Neons (fwd)

At 09:38 PM 8/4/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:49:59 +1200
>From: Malcolm Watts <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Rotaries and Neons
>
>Terry, Gary Lau and all,
>                          I'm seeking an opinion here: if one uses a
>good RC filter with a NST, is there any remaining hurdle to using an
>async rotary gap?
>
>Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,
        If the filter is "good" then the only danger I see is that a rotary
gap may miss firing cycles due to miss timing or other unforeseen problems.
This can allow the voltage to raise to higher value than expected.  Since
the inductance of the NST secondaries and the primary cap can resonate the
voltage to high values, a missed firing may allow high voltages on the cap
and NST.  The solution is very simple.  Use the rotary as you wish but also
have static safety gaps in case the rotary doesn't fire properly.

        Terry Fritz