[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotaries and Neons (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 23:23:30 -0500
From: "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
To: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Rotaries and Neons (fwd)

> Date:          Wed, 5 Aug 1998 20:55:49 -0600 (MDT)
> To:            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject:       Re: Rotaries and Neons (fwd)
> From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

John, Malcolm, All,

OBIT's and the 30 mA type NST's seem to be very fragile and
intolerant of even the slightest electrical abuse.  FYI, I once
connected a 10 kV -at- 23 mA OBIT to a non-sync, variable speed rotary break
with no other components involved except the necessary spans of about 12
inches of HV wiring between the two devices.  The OBIT died a rapid
death, not even surviving a full 30 seconds!

If OBIT's and NST's seem to die just lookin' at 'em, perhaps the best
protection device might be a black bag to put over them so you can't
look at 'em.

Just thinking aloud now FWIW, perhaps one could try interconnecting the
power supply transformer to the rest of the system with that special
suppression core spark plug wire that is now commonly used in almost
all high-energy automotive ignition systems.  It might provide enough
damping of what must be very HF voltage spikes occuring in the
OBIT/NST circuit.  Perhaps if that proves effective, a length of such
wire could be wound around a PVC former ala an air cored choke.
Comments welcomed.

Robert W. Stephens
Director
Lindsay Scientific Co.
RR1 Shelburne, ON Canada L0N-1S5
Tel or AutoFax: 1-519-925-1771
*Custom built Tesla coils, etc., for museum display
 and special effects work.
*Canada's largest publicly accessible wall-to-wall
 indoor lightning show...by appointment.
*Future home of Electric Science World,
 educational/entertaining Theatre of Electricity.
*Antique TV Museum...in search and acquire mode now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Inquiries welcomed! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~