[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Monday, August 10, 1998 5:51 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Output Voltage vs. Firing Rate (fwd)

Hi Greg, John, all,

    In his early writings, Tesla speculated that each streamer one
sees in a shot reflects a cycle of oscillation. We know now with the
benefit of some good instrumentation that this is simply not true.
The air ionizes simultaneously on many fronts. The other night for
example, I scoped about twenty significant cycles of Fr but at 2.1J
with the terminal I was using saw no less than four simultaneous
streamer roots with a multitude of feathers radiating away from each
one. The streamer roots were emitted from "favourable points" on the
terminal (a cube with rounded corners). They were all emitted from
the top as well. Reducing Ep from that point reduced the number of
streamer roots to one until the system no longer could break out. That
one streamer at a much reduced output level was more powerful than
any of the individual multiple streamers at the higher energy level.

Malcolm