[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Miller Tungsten Pads

----------
From:  Bill the arcstarter [SMTP:arcstarter-at-hotmail-dot-com]
Sent:  Friday, August 14, 1998 7:42 AM
To:  ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com; tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Miller Tungsten Pads

Chuck Curran wrote:

>Some time back a Miller Electric tungsten contact pad was
>mentioned by someone, along with a Miller part number.  As I recall
>this tungsten pad was "about" 1/2" in diameter and had either a
>threaded stud or a hole for a cap screw to hold it to a mounting
>surface.  If you still have that part number,

I have mentioned this before - and its also ref'd in the tesla resource
listing (who is maintaining that list these days???)

I've seen pics of this stuff somewhere on the net, but I have no pics on
my page at the moment.

The p/n is Miller 020603, listed as "Point, spark gap".  Any welding
store should have or can get them.   About $6/ea.  Steel bar, 1/2
diameter with a 3/8 diameter by 1/16 tungsten disk brazed to one end.

The steel rod is meant to be clamped into an extruded aluminum heatsink,
which you can also buy for $10.  p/n MILLER 020622.  The base of this
extrusion is flat and could be bolted down to some convenient surface
much more easily than the steel contact bar.

I drilled/tapped a hole in the back of each contact bar for the purpose
of attaching my heavy primary wiring...

Finally - there is even a neat ceramic base with recessed screw mounts
for holding up to four of the heatsinks - p/n 095621 for $5 or so.

Hope this helps!

-Bill the arcstarter
Starting arcs in Cinci, OH
http://www.geocities-dot-com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/6160