[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Modulated Spark Gap.

----------
From:  Marcus Young [SMTP:MEYoung-at-uq-dot-net.au]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 1:07 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Modulated Spark Gap.

Hello All,

Ive long been considering an idea for a spark gap with very prescise control.
It occured to me that controlling the movement in a gap could be achived
using the movement of a  powerful voice coil and AF amplifier. This could be
used to trigger sparking.
I have thought that an AF voice coil/solenoid could push and pull on the
outer edge of
a centrepivoted disc via an insulating rod of some type, kinda like a
piston wheel.
A disc with electrodes arranged about the perimiter much as a rotary gap
has, but far,
far lighter in construction as centrifugal forces wont really be an issue.
Stationary electrodes would be positioned just outside the sparking range
of their 'humming'
counterparts while while at their resting positions. The 4 electrodes would
be configured so
as to fire a series break of 8 gaps.
Ive just never been sure what kind of solenoid/VC and amplifier Ide need to
move the small
but nasty weight of around four 4.5mm dia tungsten slugs back and forth 5mm
or so at
0-1000Hz + without distortion.
There are 3 main advantages to this system, but also a few problems..
Advantages:
1) Exactly controlled and easily measurable break rate/frequency with an AF
gen.
2) 'On the go' controll over minimum gap distance by controlling amplitude.
3) Easy to reference frequency to mains for perfectly phase-synchronous
operation (if desired)
*Maybe theres some advantage with different wave shapes but some things
are just meant for the lab...:)

Disadvantages:
The problem with this gap is when you try to air quench it, this will most
probaly
cause problems with movement if the blast is as stong as it would probably
need to be.
*sigh* Any ideas anyone?
Has anyone ever made anything like this? It seems to have promise. I'm just
not in the
position to build one right now.

Marcus

ICQ!  #15089999