[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary field strength

----------
From:  Malcolm Watts [SMTP:MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 4:00 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Primary field strength

Hi Chris,

<snip>
> so if the field is that big, I could easily make a 200" secondary, as it
> appears the field is huge when the caps are included.  Ok, I could not do
> this as I only have 80" hight in my room.  But you see what I'm getting at.
>
> This was only 1 gap as well, If I used all 5 gaps , the field would probably
> go 100's of yards away.  So what stopping me from building a bigger
> secondary ?

The problem can summarised thus: You are transferring a fixed amount
of energy from the primary cap to the secondary capacitance with each
gap fire. Each gap fire is separate from every other. There is no
accumulation in the secondary with successive gap fires. The
capacitance of the secondary rises with its size.

Since Vo = Vgap*SQRT(Cp/Cs),  you can see what is happening to your
output voltage as your secondary gets larger. Taken to an extreme, if
your secondary capacitance ends up being as big as the primary one,
secondary voltage only reaches that of the primary assuming no loss
in effecting the energy transfer.

Malcolm
<snip>