[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Modulated Spark Gap.

----------
From:  Jim Monte [SMTP:JDM95003-at-UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU]
Sent:  Tuesday, August 18, 1998 6:58 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Modulated Spark Gap.

Not to be discouraging, but I don't think that this gap would perform
well.  A RSG quickly goes from conducting to non-conducting because the
rotor is spinning at a constant speed, which abruptly opens and closes
the spark gaps.  With a solenoidal driver, the gaps will open and close
more slowly.  After all, the velocity of the moving electrode must be
0 when it is fully opened or closed since there is a direction reversal
at each instant.

Jim Monte