[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Modulated Spark Gap

----------
From:  Gary Lau  19-Aug-1998 0921 [SMTP:lau-at-hdecad.ENET.dec-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 19, 1998 8:46 AM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: Modulated Spark Gap

>From:  terryf-at-verinet-dot-com [SMTP:terryf-at-verinet-dot-com]
>
>Hi Marcus,
>
>        My latest experimental gap is design to uses a voice coil (woofer)
>to move air through multiple gaps to aid cooling and quenching.  I am
>studying if a resonant speaker enclosure type system will be able to move
>air more efficiently through thin gaps than a vacuum cleaner or blower.  Of
>course, the "volume" and frequency of such a system is trivial to adjust.
>This is not quite what you are thinking of but your post certainly caught my
>eye!!
<snip>
>        Terry Fritz

The possibility of a resonant air column quenching a spark gap is
interesting.  If the air frequency is set to synchronously match the gap
firing rate, it may even encourage a more stable firing rate, incurring
the same benefits as a sync rotary gap.  But it's unclear if you'd want
to set the phase for maximum or minimum air velocity at the gap firings.
Maximum would result in best quenching, but may tend to inhibit firing.
Minimum would encourage synchronous firing but at the expense of
quenching.  But the biggest problem is that air is only oscillated, not
exchanged, so cooling would be very poor.  Then there's the noise.

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA