[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Tesla Jargon? and Pancake Secondary?

----------
From:  Payne, Will E [SMTP:will.e.payne-at-lmco-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 19, 1998 7:34 AM
To:  'Tesla List'
Subject:  RE: Tesla Jargon? and Pancake Secondary?

	I'm with you, Steve !  Listning in is very educatuional, but
sometimes the lingo is obscure.  NST=Neon Sign Transformer, RSG=Rotary Spark
Gap.  I'm trying to figgure out what Malcom and his buddies are talking
about with quenching on the first or second 'notch', the 'ringup' etc.
Quenching seems to refer to stopping the conduction of the primary spark
gap, the rest I'm still fuzzy on.

	Nikola Tesla used a powerful coil in his stage shows very differnt
than the "classic" air solenoid.  It apparently used flat bobbin coils in a
wood box filled with oil and rubber.  Also consider the similar construction
of a "classic" television flyback transformer, where a pancake shaped flat
bobbin coil builds up voltage from the interior to the periphery, allowing a
grounded permeable core to pass thru the hole.

	FWIW
	Will