[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Plastic Bottle SW caps ?

----------
From:  Stan Harle [SMTP:lazer-at-earth.wazoo-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 19, 1998 9:55 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Plastic Bottle SW caps ?

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Tesla List wrote:

> 	I have made a SW cap from a 2 liter plastic soda bottle, measuring
> about 2.4 nF.  Never used plastic bottles before, and have not electrically
> stressed this 'un yet.  Anybody got any experience / wisdom here ?
>
> 	To recoup, am using 15kv 30 ma NST for now, looking for more power
> and better caps later, because I want to drive a 9 in x 70 in secondary.
> Will the plastic bottle stand a NST ?

	I've made 'em.  At 15kV, you'll get little usage unless you stack
a few of them.  A single bottle will pop pretty quick and start dribbling
salt water all over the place.  You may be able to stack a few of them to
avoid this, I never tried it.  I also tried using polyethelene buckets,
without much better results.

Stan Harle
Alamogordo, NM