[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sparks for cheap

----------
From:  RWB355-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:RWB355-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 19, 1998 4:00 PM
To:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject:  Re: sparks for cheap

Hi Jim,

I think what Michael was taking about, was that he could pull the started arc
 apart about 45 cm. No way will 10kv jump 45 cm needle point or not. And I
 think 45 cm is still a lot. I can draw my 2.3kV/700ma (after starting the arc
 with flat plates) apart aprox 3 inches before the arc rips off. At 10kV (w.
 needle points) I would say max around 10 inches, no more. I donīt think the
 MOTīs are gonna like this all to long as the donīt have any kind of corona
 shield and werenīt designed to handle such loads. If you pull the electrodes
 really far apart you ARE stressing the transfomer winding to their max limit.
 Besides MOTīs are too power hungry. 10kv-at-700mA are 7 kVA. Something like a
 small pole pig and MOTīs usually arenīt current limited, so your breaker is
 going to cut out sonner or later (w/o a ballast in the primary)

Regards,
Reinhard