[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

sparks for cheap

----------
From:  EM ^ Pulse [SMTP:corr-at-enid-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, August 20, 1998 1:36 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: sparks for cheap

Even though I didn't catch the original thread, I wanna make a comment on
this.
Shaun O'Brien and I wired up three microwave transformers in a series for
around
7kv at 500ma.   When the arc started we were able to drawn a large loud arc
around
20 inches or more straight up, which could be what he was referring too.  It
you draw
the arc straight up in a nonwindy area you can get tremendous arc lengths.
The transformers lasted very well considering the tremendous loads we
pulled, and
considering the breaker was only rated at 20 amps, the 20 seconds it lasted
was
pretty damn cool.

<SNIP>

At 10kV (w.
needle points) I would say max around 10 inches, no more. I donīt think the
MOTīs are gonna like this all to long as the donīt have any kind of corona
shield and werenīt designed to handle such loads. If you pull the electrodes
really far apart you ARE stressing the transfomer winding to their max
limit.
Besides MOTīs are too power hungry. 10kv-at-700mA are 7 kVA. Something like a
small pole pig and MOTīs usually arenīt current limited, so your breaker is
going to cut out sonner or later (w/o a ballast in the primary)