[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring Secondary Coils

----------
From:  RWB355-at-aol-dot-com [SMTP:RWB355-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent:  Thursday, August 20, 1998 5:18 PM
To:  fwd
Subject:  Re:Measuring Secondary Coils

---------
From:  chris.swinson [SMTP:chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 19, 1998 7:44 AM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Secondary Frequency
<SNIP>

Hi Chris, all !!

Chris

I hope you are not thinking of just "plugging" a capacitor and/or inductance
 meter across your secondary coil and then just reading what the meter tells
 you. That doesnīt work !! The measuring frequency of these meters is way too
 low to give an accurate reading of the inductance (capacitance) the coil has
 at "our" operating frequencies. Typical DMMīs run at about 200Hz better ones
 at 400Hz or 1000Hz. I donīt know, however, if there are RF "adjusted" meters
 that would be able to really measure the values correctly.

Otherwise, the only way I think you could do it properly, would be to connect
 a frequency gen and an O-scope to the coil via a Wheatstone bridge. That way
 you could find the frequency at which the coil resonates, but you would still
 have to calc the (unknown) inductance/ capacitance part of the bridge (read:
 your coil). So you would be back to square one.
 I suppose you stepped into the same bear trap I did and used wire length as a
 grounds for your calculations. And as many coilers have proven (and if you
 think about it is pretty logical, too) the 1/4 wave theory will sink you like
 a leaky submarine.

Regards and safe coiling,
Reinhard