[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Measuring Secondary Coils

----------
From:  chris.swinson [SMTP:chris.swinson-at-zetnet.co.uk]
Sent:  Friday, August 21, 1998 12:31 PM
To:  Tesla List
Subject:  Re: Measuring Secondary Coils

Hi All,

-----Original Message-----
From: Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: 'Tesla List' <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Date: 21 August 1998 05:45
Subject: Measuring Secondary Coils

>----------

Humm, I've not had problems like this before, I know that DMM's can lie
though at times.  Only thing which troubles me is the fact I have a current
limiting chart which tells you in steps of 1 amps the inductance.  I tried
this out with a few TR's and the meter aggreed with the table which suggests
that the meter is correct.  I have treid lots of calculations and they all
say about 30mH, But the meter says 11mH.

>Otherwise, the only way I think you could do it properly, would be to
connect
> a frequency gen and an O-scope to the coil via a Wheatstone bridge. That
way
> you could find the frequency at which the coil resonates, but you would
still
> have to calc the (unknown) inductance/ capacitance part of the bridge
(read:
> your coil). So you would be back to square one.
> I suppose you stepped into the same bear trap I did and used wire length
as a
> grounds for your calculations. And as many coilers have proven (and if you
> think about it is pretty logical, too) the 1/4 wave theory will sink you
like
> a leaky submarine.

Well I know the running frequency is 200Khz for a fact, as It's been scopped
out at that frequency.  Perhaps some one clever can calc what inductance
will match that frequency, then I'll know which reading is right.  I have my
hunch that the 30mH is right.

>Regards and safe coiling,
>Reinhard

Thanks :-)