[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Results of new single static gap

> > 1)  How are the static gap distances arrived at and why do you(generic)
> > divide them up the way you do?
>
> ..........................They are normally arrived at through serendipity
> and
> guesstimate, tempered by the effort needed to create large numbers of well
> aligned static gaps and the realization that the distance between gaps
> will
> become vanishingly small in high numbered systems with attendant fouling
> and
> maintenance nightmares.  The proper distances are arrived at totally
> through
> good ole trial and error (rank beginner) or educated and calibrated
> eyeball
> (old
> hand).  R. Hull

OK, Richard, I can deal with that.

> > 2)  Does increasing and decreasing the distance of the gap have the
> ultimate
> > effect of moving the shorting point along the rising portion of the
> charging
> > cycle?  Diagram is best viewed in Courier font.
> >
> >                   *
> >                 *
> >                *|
> >               * |
> >              *  |<- shorting time
> >             *   |
> >            *    |
> > ----------*--------------------
> >          *   <----->
> >         *
>
> Nope, not just the rising quarter of the sine,...... but the falling
> quarter as
> well!  Don't forget the negative half cycle, too!  The gap settings
> (number
> and
> spacing) determine how many pops one gets per cycle of the AC sine.  A
> really
> well done gap might have two firing on each quarter cycle or 8 firings per
> cycle
> that means 480 firings per second..
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

	I understood about the other half cycle, I just did not want to have
to draw it. :^)  Lazy.   But now you confuse me more.  If there is more than
one firing per half cycle, lets say 2, is the first one just before peak
voltage and the second one just after such that there is enough energy to
charge the cap?  But now you said 4/quarter cycle.  Would the first firing
of the 1/4 cycle have required closing the gap for it to fire at the
sacrifice of more voltage rise with a larger gap?  Am I making my question
clear?